Monday, March 3, 2008

Things to do in...Staples When You're Bored

In an office supply store with a toddler is no place to be for too long. First we toured the aisles, perusing folders, paper, and the like. There were the office chairs that were fun for a while, the 'round and 'round was amusing, although The Toddleator was not permitted to take a chair on a "ride" she was permitted to sit in them one by one. A few times she tried the over-the-shoulder-is-mommy-gonna-chase-me? I didn't bite though, just smiled benignly and followed her as quickly as possible without running. We had snacks, we colored with borrowed pens, we sat and played with her barrettes...put them ALL in her hair and she pulled them all out only to rearrange them all back in her hair. After a full hour (probably little more) time was UP. It took that long to get the copies done for the newsletter, I'll know better next time to bring a Publisher file instead of a pdf. Props to everyone who was working that day though, and everyone who was waiting at the copy center for work to be done! AND a great big GOOD JOB being patient, to Fiona, from her Mama.

Early last week we visited a library where a Toddleator-sized book bag is available. Fiona Mama'ed me to death that day. She must have said it a thousand times, I'm proud of myself for responding every time as serenely as possible. We picked a few books to borrow, I showed her how they all fit in her super-neato-cute book bag, and she's off. For the remainder of the morning, on the way to the car from the library, from the car to the house, she would NOT allow me to help her carry the bag. Every time I asked her if she needed help, I got a "No". I encouraged her, it was a pretty heavy little bag with 6 small children's books in it. At one point (library to car) I was able to lighten the load for her somewhat and she cruised enjoying her big-girl-ness. I thought maybe she'd be over it by the time we got to our place, and I'd just carry the book bag for her--nope. She half-dragged---ok, well, mostly dragged it all the way from the car to the hallway stairs, where she finally looked up at me and sighed. I repeated my offer of help, and received a "Yeah". Even then, though, Little One would not let me touch the bag for more a second at a time. Just long enough for me to plop it on the next step up, one step at a time, to the landing at our front door. What a tenacious little person! That's expected, I suppose, considering her lineage.

We had simply gorgeous weather for a few days straight, and then it snowed a LOT. Looked blizzard-y to me, but then I've never really seen a blizzard---I'm told it most certainly was not a blizzard. And I'm told that the nice days, snow day, nice days, snow day, will continue until May or thereabouts. We've booked our hotel for Utah in May, and I am training in earnest for my race. It's been a rough couple of weeks getting started, but I think I've finally got the schedule under control. Keep on, keepin' on.

No comments: