Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Balloting

Yay!  there will be a 4 year respite from political ads after today (lovely battleground state).  Hopefully people will go back to loving their neighbors and being kind and thoughtful to each other without the constant barrage of negativity from varying parties vying for one's votes.

So, I voted, no I didn't get a sticker.  I can only say, "meh".  I did it 'cause I honor the women that fought for my right to vote, and I have daughters that need to understand the process and the community responsibility of  [presumed] representation.  So that's what we did for morning lesson today.  But otherwise, I am disillusioned about the whole process, sad about the divisive nature it causes in our country, and though I vote I already know that the more things change the more things stay the same.  Seen The Campaign or The Other Guys ?  Both poke "fun" at the reality of the system we've in place.

What would happen if no one voted?  would the electoral college then dissipate and the office remain unfilled? What persons comprise the electoral college?  Here is what came up.

"Electors are often chosen to recognize service and dedication to their political party. They may be State-elected officials, party leaders, or persons who have a personal or political affiliation with the Presidential candidate."


And this is disturbing a bit for me:

"There is no Constitutional provision or Federal law that requires Electors to vote according to the results of the popular vote in their States. Some States, however, require Electors to cast their votes according to the popular vote. These pledges fall into two categories—Electors bound by State law and those bound by pledges to political parties."

That is all.  Happy mid-week!
A

No comments:

Be a Super Mom - Cloth Diaper with FuzziBunz diapers at Nurtured Family
Mama Bargains - Are you hooked yet?