Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Delicate subject of pain

A dear friend recently remarked on "a belief in better living through chemistry".

I felt a little sad about that, partly that I know it's how most people approach life.  A consistent, vaguely desperate, outward search for a solution to discomfort they feel.  Avoiding the solution of focusing inward, finding the root cause, and properly healing.  From my experience emotional pain and physical pain can be equal in intensity and just as damaging if healthy healing attention isn't paid.

We have the amazing capacity to feel such a range of emotion, such a range of pain.  It's not always a bad thing.  I've come to believe that emotional pain and physical pain directly embody growth and change.  Growth and change are good, especially if I'm learning with it.

If I attempt to dull the pain of an experience I inadvertently truncate some aspect of my human experience.  For example, if I don't feel all the way into sorrow, how can I then stretch entirely into my joy?  For me the pain of childbirth was natural part of becoming a mother, I accepted it and I believe I'm stronger for it.

This is my human experience, I can think of no reason to limit it with avoidance mechanisms like media distractions, stuffing habits, or unnecessary medication (self or otherwise).

We are durable creatures, we are built for magnificence and enlightenment, don't rob yourself of a extravagantly full human experience with petty distractions.

Love On.
: )

No comments:

Be a Super Mom - Cloth Diaper with FuzziBunz diapers at Nurtured Family
Mama Bargains - Are you hooked yet?